Visa to Australia

You are here:  Home > Working Holiday visa to Australia (WHV)

Working Holiday visa to Australia (WHV)

A Working Holiday visa (“WHV”) is for people between 18 and 30 years of age (inclusive) who want to go to Australia to combine a holiday with work and/or studies. With a Working Holiday visa, you can stay in Australia for up to one year and you are allowed to work.

You can work as much as you want, but you cannot spend more than six months working for the same employer. You can study for 4 months at most. You can have a holiday for as long as you want, and you don’t need to work or study at all if you do not want to.

You can receive a Working Holiday visa twice. You can apply for the second while you are in Australia, so you do not need to leave in order to apply. To be eligible to apply for the second Working Holiday visa, you must fulfil some requirements: You must have worked for at least 3 months and it must have been the correct kind of work. It also matters where in Australia you worked. If you are interested in applying for a second Working Holiday visa, you need to think about it before you apply for your first job.

Am I eligible for a Working Holiday visa to Australia?

To be able to apply for a Working Holiday visa you need fulfill some requirements, you must:

  • Be 18-30 (not yet 31) years of age
  • Not have any children
  • Go to Australia with the intention of having holiday, and if you work it should only be to support your holiday financially
  • Have enough funds to support your stay in the beginning
  • Have a passport from certain eligible countries. Currently the nationalities are the United Kingdom, United States of America, Canada, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Poland, Turkey, Republic of Cyprus, Belgium, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Hong Kong, Japan, Republic of Korea, Taiwan and Bangladesh.

How much does a Working Holiday (WHV) visa cost?

Our price for the Working Holiday visa to Australia is always listed on the first page of the application form, so you can see the price before you start the application. To see the current price, please click the “Apply now” button on the top of this page to go to the application form.

Medical Examination Working Holiday

You need to be in good health to ensure a successful application. You may need to do an extensive medical examination, including tests of your lungs, x-rays, and an STI test.

Financial Requirements

When you go to Australia, you need to have enough money to support yourself in the beginning of your stay. 5000 Australian Dollars is usually considered enough. You might need to prove that you have this money by providing a bank statement or similar, but only on request.

If you do not have a return ticket, you will also need funds to be able to afford to buy one, above the 5000 dollars.

In the application you will need to confirm that you have enough funds to support yourself.

Do I need insurance

You should ensure that you have medical insurance that is valid during your stay in Australia. Citizens of some countries (including the United Kingdom) have limited reciprocal care from the Australian health care program; other applicants will require their own insurance. For more information about the health care program in Australia, please visit

How long can I stay in Australia on a Working Holiday Visa?

After the visa is granted, you have 12 months to enter Australia. From the day you enter Australia you can stay up to 12 months in the country. During the 12 months you can leave and enter Australia as many times as you wish. However, if you leave Australia your visa will not be paused, the 12 month validity is fixed and there is no way to recover the “lost” days spent outside Australia.

Working Holiday holders who have been working in regional Australia with “specified work”, such as farming, mining, plant cultivation, might be eligible to apply for a second Working Holiday visa. If that is granted it will allow another 12 months stay in Australia.

Can I study in Australia on my Working Holiday Visa?

Yes, on a Working Holiday visa in Australia you are allowed to study up to 4 months. The main purpose of the Working Holiday visa is to have holiday and do limited work to finance your stay. If your wish is to study more than 4 months, you should consider applying a student visa instead.

Can I have many different jobs at the same time?

Yes, you can work for many different employers. You can’t however work for the same employer for more than 6 months. After you have worked for 6 months with the same employer, you need to quit and find a new job.

What kind of job can I get?

You need to find a job yourself, and you can work with anything you like. Most people with a Working Holiday visa will work in the agriculture industry or in tourism. If you wish to have the chance to apply for a second Working Holiday visa, you will need to work in regional Australia (certain area codes) in certain industries.

You will need to open an Australian bank account and get a tax file number before you start working. Most banks will offer simplified registration for Working Holiday visa holders if you open an account within 28 days of arrival. The tax number is applied online at the Taxation Office website.

A part of the tax paid (9% of your salary) is called superannuation, which is basically a form of retirement saving. You can claim this money back from the government when you leave Australia.

Do I need to arrange accommodation in advance?

We recommend you do that. It is better to have something already arranged for the beginning of your stay, and change later, than to not have anything and be forced to live in an expensive hotel just because everything is fully booked.